Saturday 1 March 2014

Edwards: Former Olympic champion reveals that he no longer believes in God



Can some one reach out to this man with this bible passage! Proverbs 3:5-8 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. A former Olympic champion say he don't  believe in God anymore. culled from Daily Mail

Former Olympic champion Jonathan Edwards has revealed he no longer believes in God – but is happier than he’s ever been.
His Christian faith was so important to him as a young man that he refused to compete on a Sunday and famously gave up the chance to take part in the 1991 World Athletics Championships as a result.
But in 2007, the vicar’s son quit as presenter of the BBC’s Songs of Praise and revealed he was in personal turmoil after losing his faith in God.

Now Edwards, 47, has spoken about giving up on Christianity.
‘I just stopped believing in God,’ said Edwards, who won a gold medal at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney.
‘I don’t go to church any more. Not at all.’
Edwards, who still holds the world triple jump record that he set 19 years ago, told the Daily Mirror: ‘I am happy and actually it’s fine.
'I don’t miss my faith. In many ways I feel more settled and happier in myself without it.
‘I don’t know if that is related to losing my faith or would have been the case anyway.
‘Had I suddenly thought that life doesn’t quite feel right, maybe I’d re-examine my faith. In fact, more than ever, I feel comfortable with where I am in life.’
Edwards, who won a silver medal at the 1996 Olympics, has previously said he was 'slightly embarrassed' by his former faith.
In 2010, he told Sky News: 'I think I was probably quite narrow-minded and fundamental in my views and a bit of a scary person.
'I believed that what I believed was the truth. Some of those extremes I feel slightly embarrassed about now, but overall no regrets.'

In 2007, following his decision to quit Songs of Praise, Edwards said: 'I don’t claim to fully understand what I am feeling other than to acknowledge that something I never doubted - God - I have huge doubts about now.
'This is a hugely complex and deeply personal issue. I am sure there are a lot of things people think but will never say to me. I am who I am, regardless of whether I believe or not.
'I think a basic sense of morality is shared by people of all faiths and none.'
Edwards, now a BBC sport presenter, lives with wife Alison and sons Sam, 20, and Nathan, 18, in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.
His wife works for the church but he insists his change of heart has not caused a problem within the family.

No comments: