Sunday 16 March 2014

Immigration Tragedy: Survivors, families of victims recount ordeals

The survivors and families of the dead victims of the stampede at the Nigeria Immigration Services aptitude test in Abuja have continued to recount the harrowing ordeal they passed through at the venue of the exercise, emphasizing that they were lucky to be alive to tell the story.
While the families appealed to the government to facilitate the release of the victim’s corpse for burial and free them from further ordeals in the hands of the hospital authorities.
Some of the survivors still on admission at the National Hospital told sunnewsonline.com that they cheated death by the whiskers.
Speaking to sunnewsonline.com  on her hospital bed, a 2006 graduate of Mass Communication, Mrs. Mary Ogida, caught in the stampede, narrated that the trauma was so much that she would prefer to hawk pure water to participating in such recruitment exercise again, revealing that she was taken into the mortuary with the dead victims.

Her words: “I’m lucky to survive the stampede. I was rushed to the hospital in an unconscious state. They brought me to the hospital along the dead ones before they later discovered that I was not dead. I passed through the mortuary.
“The population at the gate was too much and when we were about to enter the stadium, instead of them to open the whole gates, they just opened just one of them to the extent that many of them climbed the fence in an attempt to gain entrance. You know the desperation to get the job from many of us was responsible for everybody trying to gain entrance ahead others.
“My case was a peculiar one because I was at the centre. People pushed me from every side to the extent that I can’t breathe or retreat and before I could know it, I fell down. I was lucky that one boy built a wall around me to reduce the number of people trampling on me. I kept shouting I’m dead, help me,” she narrated.
It was almost the same pathetic story from newly graduated indigene of Ogun State, Miss Oluwatosi Amoda, who told our correspondent that she thought she was death after sustaining multiple fractures during the stampede.
“When I got there before 7.00am, I met large crowd but I have to push my way forward, but when I got to the front, I noticed that they did open any of the gates. We pleaded with them to open the gate so that we can go in and sit down inside, but they refused. When the crowd surged so close, some started climbing the fence and that was how the push started.
“We were held up in the situation until we were choked and suffocated to almost death. I thought I was dead until I woke up in the hospital. I tried to walk but I could not. If I had known, I would not have even attempted going close to the stadium in the first place. I just finished my youth service last year,” she noted.
Binikisu, a sister to one of the dead victims, Mrs Oyiza Yusuf, expressed grief that sister died with her pregnant she tried to safe during the stampede, disclosing that the death of her sister’s first husband in an auto crash was responsible for her looking for job after graduation in 2006.
“I didn’t really have any premonition apart from the dream I had while taking a nap that morning after calling her number without success. In the dream, I saw myself in a party where people merriment, I saw people carrying well-dressed dead body to the venue of the occasion with its two legs up.
“I did not only refuse to eat but also left the party because I saw something very strange. I woke up immediately and started praying only for my phone to ring to inform me about my sister’s death.
“She was married for eight years without any child. The husband was a banker in Maiduguri until he had an auto crash while going back after his annual leave. My sister then joined us in Kano but the Kano riot forced us to relocate to Abuja.  In Abuja, she met and got married to another man and had a child for him about a year and eight months ago, only for her to die trying to safe her pregnant friend. It was too heavy a burden for one person to pass through,” Binikisu narrated.
http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

No comments: